Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Terrible Two's Aren't So Terrible


Well, I thought I was going to get to escape terrible two's...you see, my older two didn't have this lovely issue. But I thank my Lord for this adorable third child, Ryan A. everyday. Whether I am wrestling him to sit in his carseat, begging him to stop splashing in the bath, or covering his mouth, trying to muffle his yells in a restuarant, because he doesn't want to be in his highchair...I still thank God. Sometimes it may be thankfulness through clenched teeth and the others time it is with a tear in my eye and a smile in my soul.

His daddy thinks he's funny and that he's never met another child like him, but he is with me on the misbehavior. He doesn't want Ry to be an unruly little beast, but more like a perfect little gentelmen with plenty of manners.

Ryan is at the stage where is repeating words that his mama, daddy and big brothers and sisters say. Words that are looked down on especially in the two year old class at a Christian daycare. =) We all try not to say them (Shut up, stupid, etc.), but find our selves being repeated pretty often. So, we are really trying to work on that. Also, we love to wrestle and play rough at home...this is another intolerable thing at daycare. Last week, Ryan received a straight face on his calendar with the phrase "Was sent to the office for tackling other children". I blame that one on Will and myself!!!! But the age difference is the biggest problem, I'm 30 and he's two and half! No really the little thing is surrounded by everyone older than him, so he's left to fend for himself.

I have pictures of him with a pacifier in his mouth that belongs to Landon's doll, pictures of him with a mohawk in the tub, and pictures on his dirty little face at dinner time. He is our little clown. He is a people-pleasurer, much like his father. He loves to sing, "Twinkle, twinkle little star, and Sweet Home Alabama", and we all love to hear him say "Roll Tide", "Watch this Daddy", "Bo Henry" or "I pooted".

He also has the weird phobia. It's floating hair in the bath tub. He is scared it is going to get him. He hops out of the bath tub and says "It going to get me." It is the weirdest thing. Landon says he's scared because it looks like the jellyfish tentacle that wrapped around his arm this summer at the ocean. I think she is right. By the way, Ryan loves the beach. He loves the river, the pool, the bath, the creek, anything with water.

He is learning his colors and shapes at school and we quiz him on them at night at home. We also proudly display his artwork on the refrigerator. Terrible two's aren't so terrible. Especially in the night when he wraps his arms around my neck and says "I love you Mommy".

No comments: